My Ideal Backyard. Creating a Sustainable Oasis for Madison Area Homeowners
We work with many Madison area first time home buyers. We sit and drink coffee or tea together and our clients tell us their dreams in a home. With first time home buyers we usually hear things like: We are tired of sharing walls with neighbors, we want more privacy and we want to paint the walls whatever colors we want. We want to invite our friends over to to grill on the deck. And of course:
We want a yard. A place to let the dogs play. A place to garden. A place to grow food, plant flowers. A place to compost or build a chicken coop.
So we help them buy their first home. They get their yard. And then what?
They love their new home but don’t know what to do now that they have the yard. We have heard it many times. And now in perfect partnership with Sustain Dane we are excited to bring you a springtime seminar:
MY IDEAL BACKYARD: Turn your yard into a sustainable oasis.
Part book club, part get-your-hands-dirty workshop, these series of interactive classes teach how to put together a sustainable backyard. Learn the building and gardening skills necessary to install a raised bed, to put in a water catchment system, and to build a chicken coop–and then make them happen!
Throughout the program, participants meet with experts and practitioners to learn the reasons for backyard gardening–and then will take those skills to their own homes.
Each week, participants meet at one person’s backyard and install that week’s lesson.
Limited availability so sign up today!
DATE & TIMES
- Thursday, March 17th, Madison Children’s Museum, 6:30 – 8 pm Initial design: Kate Hieber-Cobb, Madison Area Permaculture Guild
- Saturday, March 26th, Madison Children’s Museum 1–2:30 pm Review Backyard Designs
- Saturday, April 2nd, 1 –4 pm Install garden beds: Megan Blodgett, Willy Street Co-op
- Saturday, April 9th,1 — 4 pm. Madison Children’s Museum Introduction to Chicken Coops: Julie King, Rooftop Ramble Coordinator, Madison’s Children Museum
- Saturday, April 16th, 1 — 4 pm Install a chicken coop
- Saturday, April 23rd, 1 — 4 pm Install water conversation and irrigation systems: Jim Guither, rain barrel program
- Saturday, April 30th, 1– 4 pm Worm bins and bee-keeping: Kiera Mulvey, Madison-area Agriculture Supported Coalition
- Saturday, May 7th, 1– 4 pm Canning, jarring and enjoying your backyard: Sustain Dane staff